Some of the best meals that I have ever cooked on a grill were the simplest. A case in point were these Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausages!
These things are easy to grill, simple to serve and are spot on delicious! Stick with me and let me show you how to grill these sausages for a simple but great meal.
Set Your Weber Gas Grill to Medium High
I cooked these on my Weber Traveler and had the gas turned to Medium-High. This setting gave me a temperature of 350F at the lid.
The exact temperature isn’t that important as long as your grill is running under 400F. If your grill is running too hot the sausages will burn on the outside before the inside is completely cooked.
Let the grill pre-heat for 10 minutes before putting the sausages on the cooking grate.
Turn the Sausages While You Grill
Once the grill has pre-heated add the Italian sausages to the cooking grate.
I like to place the sausages in the center of the grill so they are surrounded by the burner tube but are not directly above it. This is the same way I would grill them on a Weber Q1200 or Q2200. If you are working with a grill that has straight burner tubes then don’t worry too much about the placement.
Close the lid and let the sausages cook.
I open the lid and turn the sausages over every four minutes. The frequent flipping has the benefits of:
- Makes sure that the sausages cook evenly
- Makes sure that I am on standby in case of flare ups.
- Gives me a reason to stand by my grill and enjoy the experience.
It will take the sausages about 20 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 165F at which point they are ready to take off the grill and eat.
Serve the Italian Sausage on a Bun
You can serve your sausages any way you like but I love them on a bun!
These sausages are great on a hoagie roll with caramelized onions and roasted peppers.
For this batch I went with a classic kosher pickle and a shot of yellow mustard and it was outstanding. The combination of the cool, crisp pickle slice with the hot and spicy sausage is fantastic.
You can use the same grilling technique for any of the Johnsonville sausages like Bratwurst, Mild Italian, etc. Keep everything simple and you will be rewarded with a great meal from you grill!
Grilled Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausages
- 5 Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausages 1 package
- Yellow Mustard
- Kosher Pickle Slices
- Set your grill to Medium High heat (~350F)
- Pre-heat the grill for 10 minutes.
- Place the sausages on the grill and close the lid.
- Flip the sausages every four minutes to insure even cooking.
- The sausages will be done in about 20 minutes when they reach an internal temperature of 165F.
- Serve the sausages in a hot dog bun with yellow mustard and a slice of kosher pickle.